Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Am I Good Enough?

I know that I posted earlier today, but I really just need to get this off my chest and this is the only way I really know how.  I have been struggling emotionally today.  I feel like I am never going to be good enough.  This day has just made me feel like I am not pretty enough, strong enough, skinny enough, nice enough, spiritually enough, friendly enough, happy enough. . . the list goes on and on.  I honestly wonder if I just have PMS which is highly possible.  But man it has been a rough day.  I have just felt like crying for the last several hours.  And as I sit here fighting tears I just keep wondering, Am I good enough? 

I know we all go through these emotions some times and that it is normal.  Usually I can cope with these feelings pretty well.  So since I am struggling with them tonight I thought maybe I would share some of the things that help pick me up when feeling this way. 

#1 - The best pick me up that I have experienced over the last few months has been the institute class I have been attending.  The teacher that I am currently taking a class from is truly amazing.  I absolutely love her, for being the kind of teacher that prays to give us what we need.  She has truly touched my life.  I can't believe how well I can feel my Heavenly Fathers love for me when she teaches.  It is amazing and I am truly greatful to her.

#2 - BYU Women's Conference.  I have attended the BYU Women's Conference every year since 2003.  I look forward to this every year because I love the spirit that you feel there and how much it lifts my spirit and strengthens my testimony.  This year I was extremely greatful for it and the strength that it gave me to continue on and press forward. 

#3 - A talk given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf at a CES Fireside in November 2009.  The title of his talk is "The Reflection in the Water".  I absolutely loved this talk when he gave it and have read it several times since.  It gives me courage and makes me feel stronger just reading it.  I highly suggest looking it up if you haven't read it before, it is GREAT!!!

#4 - This quote by Elder Neal A. Maxwell: "Some of us who would not chastise a neighbor for his frailties have a field day with our own.  Some of us stand before no more harsh a judge than ourselves, a judge who stubbornly refuses to admit much happy evidence and who cares nothing for due process.  Fortunately, the Lord loves us more than we love ourselves.  A constructive critic truly cares for that which he criticizes, including himself, whereas self-pity is the most condescending form of pity; it soon cannibalizes all other concerns."

#5 - Service!!!  Service is a great way to forget about my problems and help someone else with theirs.  Performing small acts of service always helps me feel better about myself and always brings a smile to my face.  I love this quote from a message in the Ensign in 2007 by Elder David S. Baxter.  He says, "There is something about service that brings about a marvelous change in how we think and feel about ourselves.  As we stretch our souls in service, we begin to forget our own challenges, and we are blessed with good feelings--even joy."

Now I did not post this to make people feel bad for me or anything, I really just needed a release from the emotions that I have been battling all day.  I also thought that maybe if I shared some of the things that help me cope with these feelings that it might help others in the future.  After reading some of these quotes tonight I am already feeling better!

4 comments:

  1. Cindy,
    When you feel that you are not enough of any of those things. Read this post again. You are all of the things you worry about! You are beautiful, fun, friendly, spiritual, smart and wonderful. The evidence is in your own writing!

    Love ya,
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary,
    Thank you so much! You are such a great friend and I am so glad that you commented. You made me feel so much better for making this post. From both this comment and what you told me at work.

    Love ya,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cindy, how I love you! Thanks for writing this post, your suggestions are awesome! I'm so happy that I get to go to institute class with you, I feel the same way when I'm there. I'm so grateful to be your friend!

    As a side note...I watched Never Been Kissed last night and that movie never fails to cheer me up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christine!!! I am sorry if I was a downer last night at institute, now you know why. I was really just struggling yesterday. But I felt so much better after I posted again last night, it really helped me to just sort of get it out. It is good to know that others have enjoyed the post as well. I am so glad that you are my friend too. You are GREAT!!!

    Along with your side note, I may have to get that movie, I don't own it. I think I have only seen it once. But thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely keep that in mind next time!!!

    ReplyDelete