Saturday, August 4, 2012

Easy to make paper wreath

I decided to make a tutorial on how to make this wreath.  It is fun and easy to make and then you will have a really cute decoration for your home when you are finished. 

First you will need to gather your supplies.  You will need the following:
Wreath Form (I got mine at Walmart for $4)
3-5 Sheets of 12 x 12 Scrapbook Paper (depending on how full you want your wreath to be.  For this wreath I used 5 sheets of paper)
Straight Pins (make sure they are not too long so they don't go all the way through your form)
A Paper Cutter or Scissors
A Pencil or Pen
Optional: Ribbon and Embellishments
Next you will need to cut your paper.  For this wreath I cut 3/4 of the sheet of paper in 1 inch strips and the last 1/4 of the paper into 1/2 inch strips.
*For this wreath two of the sheets of paper I saved a portion (as you can see below) to use for embellishment at the end.*
Next you will take your pencil or pen and use it to curl the paper, as pictured below, by just wrapping the paper around the pencil and then pulling it off.  You can curl it from one end to the next or curl both ends to the middle or make it look like a ringlet, for whatever effect you want to have.

The next step is optional.  I decided to wrap my wreath form in ribbon so that you could not see the green underneath the paper.  If you do not want to wrap your wreath you do not have to.  I just started by pinning the end of the ribbon in place and then tightly wrapping it around.  When I got to the end I just cut the ribbon and pinned the end in place.  It should look like this when you have finished this step.
Now you are ready to start pinning the paper to your wreath form.  You just start pinning the paper on and there is no right or wrong way to do this.  You can pin at both ends, pin in the middle, whatever you choose. Here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like as you go.

Don't get discouraged if it looks weird or funny as you start out, it comes together the more paper you get pinned on.  You can weave it in and out of each other, leave pieces dangling, all sorts of things.  Just be creative and make it look the way you want it to.  When you are done it will look like this:
Now you can add embellishments as you choose or just leave it like this.  For this wreath I wanted it to be a decoration for the 4th of July, so I decided to add some embellishments to it.  I made the pinwheel by folding 2 smaller pieces of paper like a fan, folding them in half, spreading them out, and stapling them together to form a circle.  I made the stars out of scrapbook paper as well, but cutting stars out and then making an embossing line from point to point, and then folding the long lines out and the short lines in.  I then took some little jewels and hot glued them and the stars to the pinwheel and attached it to my wreath with staples and hot glue.  I then just took a piece of ribbon and put it around the top of the wreath so that I could hang it up. Here is the finished product:
Fun, easy, and very inexpensive to create.  If you try it out I would love to see pictures of what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment